Friday, March 30, 2012

Last Week

This week was awesome! The last few days were a great wrap up of all the work we did over the last month. Teaching about drugs was a highlight. The best was one student's remark during our community circle today who showed appreciation by saying...."thanks so much for introducing us to drugs"...haha. Hope that doesn't get heard out of context.

Another highlight this week was the critical thinking activities we did about Space. Not the easiest topic to formulate critical challenges around but we did out best.

Today we did a task asking the students to choose their favourite image to raise awareness about drugs. Which image is the most Informative, Persuasive and Evocative? We also did a debate last week on whether or not the government should fund space exploration. We consolidated by having students "vote" in a "Dotmocracy". Each student got a sticker dot and placed on the line between pro and con that best represented their view. Along the line were student generated quotes that represented the various opinions.

It was a bit sad to take down our learning wall but it was a fabulous learning experience and look forward to my next visit to the classroom.

See everyone on Monday! Have a great weekend!


4 comments:

  1. I'm glad you got to do your space debate afterall! That sticker dot idea sounds like a really cool way of consolidating and validating everyone's thoughts together. Sounds like it can be done quickly if needed as well.

    I know what you mean about sad, but my ATs didn't want to take down the wall just yet so a piece of us still lives on!

    Hope you had a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Niki,

    Im glad that your drugs unit went so well. I did the same unit with my kids and thought that it was going totally over their heads. I was so proud with the school announcements they wrote and presented. They demonstrated that I had actually gotten through to them even if i didn't get a "thank you for teaching us about drugs!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the idea of a Dotmocracy! I've never thought of that before, but it's a fantastic way to help students understand that no topic is yes/no or black/white. It would also be great to have them justify their dot placement choice, and may allow them more freedom in their explanation. Great idea!

      Delete
  3. Its sad to hear that the wall came down - some teachers decided to continue with it. But the students really did learn so much - even if it was about drugs. Be proud - you left your mark!

    ReplyDelete